Tuesday, February 24, 2009


This morning I went to preschool registration. For some reason the City of Redmond handles their registration by doing a lotto drawing. All of the parents who want their kids in preschool show up, they draw a number, and based upon that number you get to register your child in the class you want. The class I wanted Will in had 7 openings. There were at least 40 parents there. I never do well in lottery type situations, so I full heartily expected to draw # 40. There was an odd tension in the room. We are all there for our children, a noble cause.... yet there was a sense of competition.... after all we were all hoping to draw a better number than everyone else. The guy came around with the number bag and a hoped for the best. I pulled out my number and couldn't believe it. #6! Will was for sure in the class that I wanted him in! I had a little celebration in my mind, but played it cool so I wouldn't be tackled by other parents who wanted my number. I soon after signed him up, paid the registration fee and left with the feeling of glares upon me.

Maybe I'll buy a lotto ticket tonight. Just to test this luck of mine. :)

5 comments:

LaDawn said...

Awesome! Preschools are amazingly competitive! Brooklynn's was free preschool, first come first served but fortunately a lot of slots, so I was waiting at the door plenty early!

Blake said...

If I remember right Lottos are not your thing, otherwise I would have a million dollars. I guess this was a good time to get lucky

amyraye said...

YAY! Isn't that funny how much tension is in the room? I hate that lottery system for Farrel McWhirter, but I'm so happy Will got in. It's a great environment and preschool program.

Erin said...

Blake - you were right. I bought a mega millions ticket. it's at 145 million. ... I didn't win. :( Too bad because I had plans to buy each of my siblings a house.

Ann said...

I can't believe your little man is old enough for preschool! He's such a sweet boy. I'm really happy that you got him in to the class you hoped wanted. He's going to love it there!