Thursday, March 18, 2010

Patio Garden

Last weekend Will, Dan and I were on a mission to create a patio garden. We dont really know much of anything about gardening but thought, "how hard can it be?" I had done a little reading, but really we figured we'd figure it out as we went along.

First stop was Home Depot. We bought some planter boxes, pebbles for the bottom, and gardening soil to fill it up. They didn't have that great of options as far as things to plant so we decided we needed to go to a nursery.

We searched on our phones for a nursery in Issaquah and found Squak Mountain Nursery. I think we spent the first 20 minutes just roaming around looking at everything and enjoying the warmth of the greenhouse. Then we finally asked someone for help. It was very apparent that we didn't know anything about gardening. We were told that most of the vegetables that we wanted to plant should not be planted until May.

We picked up some snap pea seeds and onion starts, which we were told we could plant now, but decided we'd have to come back in May for the rest of our veggies. We decided that we'd get enough flowers for a few planters. Will was the master mind behind which flowers were chosen. We aimed him towards the part shade (since our deck only gets sun the first half of the day) and let him loose.

We had fun planting all of the flowers the next morning. We are anxious to see sprouts come up from the few veggies we've planted so far, and also anxious to go get our other veggies in a month or 2.

(hopefully something will grow.... especially given the amount of money it cost to make this little patio garden.)

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow that looks great. Will sure loves to garden

Ann said...

What a fun idea! I can't wait to see what grows. I hope your veggies do well. I love fresh picked veggies! I wish I had a patio garden. Or a patio. Or just a window that opens more than an inch. :)

I love how proud Will looks in these pictures. I'm glad you're becoming gardeners together. Too fun!

Daniel said...

I hope they grow too!! ;)

Unknown said...

Good for you! A lot of our ward members are really into patio gardens and have some pretty impressive crops for living in small apartments. I kill everything I touch, or the squirrels get to it so I have decided the lemon tree which I have miraculously not killed will have to suffice! It's growing it's 3rd lemon right now (after 2 years), but it is also growing new buds so hopefully we'll get more.