Monday, May 10, 2010

I love being a mommy

This morning while talking to a coworker of mine, who is also a single mom, we came to a few conclusions.

1. mothers day is a bit different for single moms. It's kinda biter sweet in a way. (not that we think it's all sweet for married mothers.)
2. even though we are in situations that are not ideal, we are so grateful to be mommies

My life isn't what I thought it would be. I didn't plan to be divorced. I didn't plan to have to work full time. I wish I was there with Will all day. I wish I could take him to school and pick him up afterward. I wish I could volunteer in his classroom. I wish I could stay home to spend time with him, more than a day or so per week. I wish we could spend more time at the park, or riding bikes, or going for walks, or doing puzzles, or just cuddling. But even with all those things that I wish were different, I still LOVE being a mommy.

I love Will so much and he knows it. Maybe is sounds weird, but I feel like he is one of my best friends. We laugh together, we cuddle, we give each other kisses, we tickle and chase each other. I adore him and he adores me. One of the great things about being a mother is that no matter what else happens in my life, no matter what goes wrong, or how bad a day is, no one can take away from me that fact that I am his mommy. And I think I'm a pretty good one at that.

Yesterday I went to church, because the kids were singing in sacrement meeting. Will usually loves to sing. He sings all the time. Songs that he's learned from school or church, or sometimes songs that he's made up himself. Well I'm not sure if he just didn't know the words or if he was just too excited, but yesterday at church when the kids got up to sing, he just stared at me and smiled the whole time. The only words he sang were the words, "I love you, I love you" but the rest of the words didn't seem to matter to him, he just wanted to stare at his mommy.

It's amazing how much a child can melt your heart. I love this little boy more than I ever knew was possible!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I noticed that at church too. He just mouthed "I love you" to you and nothing else, it was so cute! And you're a great mommy. :) His eyes light up every time he talks about his mommy.

Candice said...

This was so sweet to read, Erin. I loved seeing the pictures of the two of you over the years. It's obvious that you two love each other.

amyraye said...

yeah, i noticed how thrilled he was to be up on the stage with you watching him, too. that was such a great thing to do for him. i'm glad you came. and i really love that you appreciate and love being a mom. it's a gift.

Tammy said...

You are a wonderful Mom. I am so proud of you. Will is a very lucky young man.

Unknown said...

So so so sweet. I adore Will and you guys are so adorable together. You're a great Mom! What I grow up I hope I can be just like you! :)

Cara said...

I think Will is the most adorable little boy I've ever seen. He always looks so happy in all the pictures. I'm glad you got to listen to him sing to you... Aftyn was too scared and ended up having to be dragged out while screaming at the top of her lungs. :)

LaDawn said...

This post made me tear up. It's so nice to have friends, especially sister friends who also know what it's like to not get what you thought you'd get or what you think you should have gotten, but are still glad for what you did get.
I loved these old pictures of Will. What a doll! You two are so lucky to have each other.

Rachel said...

You are an amazing mommy!!!