Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sailing with Strangers

A few months ago I decided that my life was boring and that I needed to expand my horizons and get out and do more. In my quest to find adventure I went on the "activities" page of Craigslist.com. I saw a lot of interesting activity invites that I was not not actually interested in participating in. But there was one that sounded appealing. A guy who was a member of the Shilshole Marina sailing club who was looking for people who were interested in going sailing. My brother-in-law has been a member of various sailing clubs for years so I was familiar with the idea. This guy, Todd, mentioned that it took a few people to sail the size of boats that he takes out and so he was looking for a list of people who he could contact when he had a sailing trip coming up. I e-mailed him my info and told him to add me to the list. The first few trips that he had didn't fit my schedule so I didn't go. But I decided to go along on a sailing day this last Saturday. There were 4 of us on the boat, and none of us knew eachother. At first I felt like "what in the world am I doing here?!" but once we got comfortable with eachother and started talking a bit more it was a good time. Here are some pictures of the things we saw.
I was jealous of these Sea Lions. Not only is it completely acceptable for them to be fat, but they get to lay around in the sun all day. Sounds good to me!

We circled around them a few times. We really were this close to them. No zoom used! Cool huh? After this second picture they started barking at us... maybe we were blocking their sun. :)


This picture is of Bill, Krista and I. The sailing tagalongs.

It was a beautiful day to be out on the water!


7 comments:

Lisa Best said...

Very cool! Looks like a great time!

....and I too envy the sea lions :)

amyraye said...

you are brave.

Erin said...

brave... or maybe just dumb? :)

Unknown said...

Boring life? What are you talking about? Every time I see one of your posts I think, "man she sure has fun." You're life is so much more interesting than mine. It looks like you had a blast. I'm jealous.

LaDawn said...

I wish I were as adventurous as you. That looks like fun.

Ann said...

Awesome! Looks like you were out on a perfect day for sailing. I'm glad they all turned out to be cool people and not psycho. The problem with being on a boat is that you can't suddenly make up an "I've gotta go" excuse if they turn out to be weirdos. I'm glad it was a great day. This really makes me miss the good ol' days of sailing in Seattle.

Area Man said...

i've sailed around that same platform many times! i used to race out there. Way to go, sis! i can't tell you how happy it makes me that you did that!